Thursday, July 19, 2012

A Moment of Ecstasy (Part 2)

This is the second and final part. Be sure to check out the first one here.

I suppose it's fair to say that all good things must come to an end. Good thoughts, good feelings; it is inevitable that all of these good 'things' must lay down to rest. That's how we humans are, as we have to endlessly toil day and night only to have brief moments of pleasure. 

Moving on, my dad came back from India last Wednesday, I was ecstatic when I finally saw him again. All of us went to the airport and waited for what seemed to be forever to meet him again. Thinking back on it now, I guess I didn't exuberantly display my affection for him at first sight, yet I still felt glad to see him. We all were a little shocked when we first saw him, he got thinner when he came back from India, and the plane ride back took quite a toll on him. Following the car ride home, it was time to unpack. Everyone in our house (and by everyone I mean my mom and sisters) were excited to unpack in order to see their brand new saris and other Indian clothes. Along with some of the things that we unpacked, we also brought along many snacks from India. And as these things were being unpacked, I realized that there was essentially nothing that my dad had got for me. My dad got me a lousy shirt from India, along with two formal dress pants that seemed a little too big. He also got me laddu, which is an Indian sweet shaped like a yellow ball. Not only was the shirt 'lame', but the laddu was very dry and tasted bland as a result. I found it to be hard to hide my jealousy when everyone else in the family was acting as if it was Christmas. For a moment, i felt as if I was the kid who got the worst presents from his parents ever. I went to my room and played it off, saying that I had other things to do. It seems as if every excitment that I had, from the AP exam scores to my dad returning, seemed to diminish in that very moment. Right then, that moment of ecstasy was offically over. 

So now I suppose it's fair to say that I'm back to normal. It was nice feeling as if nothing in the world could ever stop me, but now it's fair to say that it's all gone. Maybe it was selfish of me to act that way on that night. After all, I shouldn't have expected anything special in particular from him, but I figured getting crappy stuff might just be worse than getting no stuff at all. Or is it supposed to be the other way around? I don't know, but at that moment back then, something in me was simply let down. It's not that I became depressed, but I became grounded again, I returned to what many people define as 'normal'. 

So I guess that was the end of it.

Thanks for reading,

No comments:

Post a Comment